velobeat.com is a Recumbent Trike forum for enthusiasts and beginners.

Recumbent trikes enable an unparalleled level of comfort to human powered pedaling power and are sometimes the only option to those with certain special needs. Some of the fastest human powered vehicle land-records are set by recumbent trikes or "velomobiles."

What are the benefits of a recumbent trike vs. a regular bike?

• My husband has been talking about getting a recumbent trike and I understand the comfort aspect to it. Anything else?

• Is your husband the type that is interested in trying new things and going outside the norm? If so, recumbent trikes are definitely worth considering. I don't think that I've ever seen one in the Boston area outside of at a local bike store.

Do they have problems with balance or do they worry about falling over / stability? With three wheels, the main risk in falling over when riding a recumbent trike is probably from approaching turns too aggressively, besides bad roads. Upright bicycles do require good balance and motion as well to stay upright. A recumbent trike can slow to a stop and remain stable.

Recumbent trikes are a great "platform" to tinker with. If they are DIY kind of person, it might be a great choice because there's a lot of room for customization. Upright bikes can be customized too but I think with a recumbent trike there is a more room for imagination.

Have they tried a recumbent trike yet? Sometimes the experience of just trying something new is the most compelling. If you see that it gives them joy because it's a new and different experience, maybe that is good enough reason to get one!