velobeat.com is a Recumbent Trike forum for enthusiasts and beginners.

Recumbent trikes enable an unparalleled level of comfort to human powered pedaling power and are sometimes the only option to those with certain special needs. Some of the fastest human powered vehicle land-records are set by recumbent trikes or "velomobiles."

Turning safely, mirrors?

• What do you guys think works better? Helmet mounted mirror, side mirrors mounted to the wheel steering columns? @afwen

I have a headrest on my trike and I wonder if it's going to be awkward to change lanes. I haven't ridden my trike yet and I'm already looking for upgrades!

• @ant I never ride without my Take-a-look mirror on my glasses--it has never let me down for understanding what's on my left.

I have been experimenting with this small Zefal mirror on the right handlebar. It seems like it could work, but (1) I don't remember to look at it, and (2) it is easily bumped out of alignment. Although I haven't actually tried this, on a trike I would be tempted to use Take-a-look mirrors on both arms of my riding glasses.

For a more traditional handlebar mirror, this Hafny mirror has impressed me for being well made and having a high-quality glass lens. The trick would be how to mount it in a way that doesn't make your footprint even wider.

• @ant I like the positioning! Are you sure that mounting those on your head tubes won't compromise the structural integrity provided by the head tube gaskets that keep the front end together?

• @afwen I have no idea.. i'm going to have to pull up the install manuals, but you're on point about that being a concern